Thursday, November 19, 2009

La Moitié de Vide (Half Empty)



Or, should you prefer, half full.



This has been our experience in this first part of our year away. We so often feel empty -- of Brooklyn, of our jobs, of our friends, of the old certainties. But we are also full -- of time, of love, of regret, of longing, of lunch.

This week, the school world we left behind is sending out report cards, and I can't help but be in a reflective mood, going back to try to figure out what I've been learning, and what I have not, yet. I've started quoting ambient temperatures in Celcius, although I still have to look up the correlation between 375 degrees and 190 for the oven. I have learned, with a new degree of certainty, that to treat two kids fairly, you often need to treat them (very) differently.  I can drive just about anywhere without getting lost at all, and I can cook well enough that my inlaws call me (with extreme generosity) "the French chef."  My French is improving rapidly, yet I still stumble through any conversations that are too much more complicated than Foux de fa fa.

In case you're just joining us, here are, in a sort of greatest hits mode, a few snapshots.

On the half that feels empty:

Nothing Doing
We May Need To Start Seeing Other People

Two posts about feeling full:

It's the Food, Stupid
Walking The Line

And two about the fact that you can't have one without the other:

Kill Farmer Brown
If It's Not Good, It's Bad

No comments:

Post a Comment